AFL NSW/ACT have since updated our Return to Play protocols and FAQ’s – please click here to view.
As noted in the letter from Dr Chant the following additions need to be made to all current COVID-19 Safety plans:
“In addition to the current requirements of the COVID-19 Safety Plan for community sports (https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/industry-guidelines/sports-recreation-and-gyms), could you please ensure the following additional steps are promptly incorporated into your Safety Plan;
- Ensure processes are in place to exclude participants (including spectators and officials) if they have visited Victoria in the 14 days prior.
- Ensure processes are in place to exclude participants (including spectators and officials) if they have attended any of the reported case locations listed on the NSW Health website (https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/latest-news-and-updates).
- Take all reasonable steps to minimise the number of spectators attending community sport events.
- If sufficient numbers to field teams cannot be achieved, prioritise delaying the event rather than substituting with people from other teams or from the community.”
To address points 1 and 2, AFL NSW/ACT has mandated the following actions:
- Clubs to electronically (social media/websites or otherwise*) communicate to players and officials that they are required to contact the Club’s COVID Safety Officer and should not attend training/matches if they have visited Victoria or attended any of the reported case locations in the past 14 days.
- Clubs to print Venue Conditions of Entry signage (provided by AFL NSW/ACT) and ensure this is visual at entry points of the ground, changeroom and bar/canteen.
To address points 3 and 4, AFL NSW/ACT has mandated the following actions:
• Clubs to communicate (via social media, website*) to participants that only 1 parent/carer/otherwise is to attend the match per player.
• Clubs to use a PA system or otherwise to communicate the provided messages to those present at regular intervals (pre match and half time).
• Clubs to postpone any significant events that may have been scheduled to occur at this weekend’s matches i.e. past players days that increase the gathering size.
• Clubs to minimise participants playing across multiple teams on one day where possible.